Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Recipe: Steal Cut Oatmeal

For the past week I've been cooking and eating steal cut oatmeal, and I like the fact that I don't feel hungry too soon after I eat it.  I will make an attempt to eat steal cut oats more often, probably during the weekdays.  The year before I got pregnant I was pretty good about eating steal cut oats, but now it's almost been 2 years since I've made this a regular thing.  What I used to do was make a batch of steal cut oatmeal one evening, then I would either pack it in individual containers or one big ol' container and stuff it in the refrigerator (usually it depended on what containers were empty ha ha).  For the next few days we would have oatmeal for breakfast.

I love that my baby also is enjoying oatmeal with me!  I usually make her's a little less sweet, and I'll only add dried fruits (no nuts), and she likes it.  She'll point to the bowl when she wants more, which I think is so awesome.  I'm hoping she will continue to like it.

I have modified Alton Brown's recipe for steal cut oatmeal slightly (based on what I usually have on hand), and also on what I like.  You'll find I'm all about changing around recipes to suit what your tastes/needs are.



Ingredients:

Oatmeal team
  • 1 tablespoon of butter (optional)
  • 1 cup of steal cut oats
  •  4 cups of water
  • 1/2 cup of milk (I've used 2%, almond milk, or soy milk, and I think it turns out fine)
  • a heavy pinch of salt (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Topping team (all of this is optional, add as much/as little as you like... that's why there's no amounts given)
  • cinnamon
  • brown sugar
  • dried and/or fresh fruits
  • chopped nuts
  • maple syrup
  • seriously, whatever you think would be good :)
Step by Step Action
  1. If using butter, melt butter in a pot/saucepan on medium heat, until melted. 
  2. Toss the oats with the melter butter for 2-3 minutes.
  3. Add the 4 cups of water to the pot.
  4. For the next 15-20 minutes stir the mixture periodically (maybe every 5 minutes).
  5. If using salt, add this now.
  6. Add the milk, continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes, stirring periodically again.
  7. Once you have the consistency you like, shut off the heat (some people like it more dry or wet, so whatever you like).
  8. If using vanilla extract, add now and mix.
  9. You can add the brown sugar and/or cinnamon to the whole pot if you're using it, or wait until you're about to eat/serve it.
Extras:  When I'm reheating in the microwave I'll usually add a splash of milk to get the consistency I like, it also helps rehydrate the dried fruit I add.  Right before I eat I'll add a little more brown sugar, cinnamon, and sometimes a variety of chopped nuts.

Later I may add some pictures, but for now it'll just be all text.  Thanks for reading, and happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried cooking it in a crockpot? Place the ingredients in a glass bowl, put bowl in a crockpot and fill water to about halfway up the glass bowl. I forget the blog I found. It worked nicely since I don't want to get up early to make it. Plus it seemed extra creamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good! I may try it if I drag out the crockpot again. I did try it with Alton Brown's steal cut oatmeal crockpot recipe, but even on the lowest setting I feel it ran too hot. There was a super thick layer of hard dry oatmeal :(. I don't blame the recipe, I blame our crockpot. I like the idea you mentioned though, kind of like a double boiler with the crockpot.

      Not sure if I'll try this anytime soon though. I'm a creature of habit.

      Delete