Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Recipe: Salted Caramels

Remember that jar of salted caramels I made?  I think it's time I finally put up the recipe for it :).  Mind you, I'm new to candy making.  I've made this recipe a few times now though, so I feel comfortable sharing it with everyone.  I haven't messed it up yet, so hopefully if you try it, it'll work out beautifully!

The recipe I used is from here, and one of the major differences is I don't use Fluer de Sel since I've never found it (and I'm lazy to go buy it online).  I also cook the caramel mixture to a different temperature, so it's not as soft.  Enough rambling, and more recipe!

Salted Caramel Recipe


Syrup Team
  • 1 1/2 cups guuar
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup water
 Cream Team
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
  • 1 teaspoon of salt (use what you like and/or have on hand) + more for topping later
  • 1 1/5 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean (optional)
Special Equipment

Step by Step Action

 1. Line an 8"x8" baking pan with parchment paper.

 2.  Combine the syrup team in a heavy pot (at least 3 quarts big) and set on medium heat.  Stir the mixture with a spoon until it becomes a clear syrup, after that point swirl the pot from time to time to prevent any hot spots.  At this point I clamp on my candy thermometer.

3. Meanwhile combine the cream team in the another pot and set on a low heat (if you're adding a vanilla bean, do so in the beginning.  Split the bean, and scrape out the pulp and add the pulp + bean to the cream).  Once the butter is melted and the cream comes to a low boil stop the heat (if you're adding vanilla extract, add after the heat has been shut off).


 4. When the syrup mixture becomes a golden caramel color shut off the heat for adding the cream (for me this was approximately 310 degrees F).  As your syrup gets higher in temperature pay close attention, as the heat can skyrocket fast if you're not attentive.
5.  Add the cream team and turn your heat back on to medium.  Please be careful for the bubbling and steaming, this is normal, but get ready to stir once the worst of the steaming is over.  Make sure to stir this mixture periodically.

6. Cook the caramel until it reaches anywhere between 248-255 degrees F.  If you want it a little softer stop it at 248, if you want a harder, chewier, and stickier caramel cook it till 255.  I've actually cooked it until 260, and it turned out just fine, I probably wouldn't go past that too much though.

7. Carefully pour the caramel into your prepared 8x8 pan.  DO NOT scrape down the pot.  I've read, and discovered for myself, that it produces hard spot in your caramel.  I don't waste this though, I usually scrape it down onto a piece of parchment paper and eat the scraps myself later... by myself... in the dark, where I won't be judged.

8.  Wait until about 15-20 minutes after it has cooled down to add the salt to the top.  I use about 1/2-1 teaspoon of a Pink Himalayan salt, use whatever finishing salt you like.  Skip this if you don't want salt on the top, but I highly recommend it.  I've done half plain on top and half salted, the salted side gets eaten up faster. 

9. This is the part I hate the most, the cutting.  I use a ruler and make small indentations all along the caramel to give me a cutting guideline.  I suggest making your pieces no bigger than 1"x1", mine are approximately 1.25"x0.75" (maybe?).  Honestly, just make them as big or small as you like.

10. Make sure you cut on a cutting board.  I've used a pizza cutter, knives, and scissors to cut this stuff.  Either way just do your best to safely cut it.

11. Wrap up your candies!  I wrap them up in parchment paper that's cut into 3"x3" squares or larger, it really depends on size.  Store them in an air tight container and you're good to go!
Please enjoy and share them with family and friends!
When I first tried to make caramel I was intimidated, but I have since learned that it really isn't all that hard to make.  It will need a bit of attention and time, but it's not too difficult for someone with some experience in the kitchen.  I will seriously never buy caramel candies ever again, because I know that I can make some pretty darned good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment