Friday, July 20, 2012

12x12 Paper Storage

I'm addicted to patterned and textured paper.  I love the stuff.  I use it with scrapbooking, making cards, making tags, sprucing up a blank gift bag, and whatever else my crazy brain can think up.  I have tons of paper, and I usually like to get a pad of 12x12 paper, for the variety (and it's cheaper than buying the individual sheets usually... I only buy them when they're on sale and/or have a coupon).  Storing all this paper has been a bit of a challenge for me, especially since I want something that will stand the paper upright (like a magazine or file holder), except it needs to be 12" deep, and also cheap!

I started doing this since my husband has been getting so many packages in the mail, many of which are priority mail boxes (13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" sized).  Now it's not exactly 12" deep, but 11 7/8" is pretty close and works out alright.  I'll be using a new box for this tutorial, but the same idea can be translated to a used one, just be careful when cutting.

The box dimensions measure 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8"
Tools: Cutting mat, ruler, X-acto knife (box cutter would work well too), and a pencil, pen, or marker.

Along one side measure 4" from the top (below the flap part), on the other side measure 4" on the opposite side.  If you would like it shorter or taller, by all means change the height.  This tutorial is for making two, so if you want them even, I suggest you make the measurements even too.
I connect the dots (you don't have to draw on your box, but it helps me get straighter lines).  This is the basic shape you'll come out with.
Make sure you stick your cutting mat carefully inside, so when you're cutting it's underneath your blade, otherwise you may have some problems ~_~.
Cut it carefully please!
Put the flaps together, just as you would normally, and BAM!  There you have it.
I'm already filling it with a bunch of paper ha ha.
Part of my collection.  I label mine with white stickers, so I can easily identify what's what.
And that's it!  Easy peasy!  You can make your own shape if you please, really it's up to you.

I don't personally have a desire to make this beautiful, since they are just lining my shelf.  If you are keeping these out and about I would suggest jazzing them up.  Why not decorate it with some of that fancy pants paper you have lying around the house.  Don't have any?  Paint the box!  Use duct tape (they have such pretty patterns/colors now).  Ribbon is beautiful too.  Heck, use all of the above and then more!  The only limit is your imagination.

While I may not be super interested in decorating all of mine, I tried using duct tape to add some color and patterns to a few of the newly made ones.  This is what I threw together.

Left is completely wrapped in Duck Tape.  The right only the front is covered.

I really like just covering the front, since that's all that really shows on my shelf.

I find that surrounding the entire thing with Duck Tape isn't bad, but don't put too many layers around the edges, it makes an already tight fit, tighter.  Otherwise it looks okay.
I have most of my scrapbooking paper in these homemade magazine files now.  I really like that I can pull down what I need when I need it.

1 comment: