Friday, August 10, 2012

Ginger Chicken

From time to time I will browse and post things to Pinterest, I try to make an effort to at least try a few of the things that I pin, otherwise it's pretty useless for me to spend time doing it.  I suppose if you're just pinning about things you like that's fine, but I try to pin things I would want to try to cook and create, or simply use them as ideas.

This brings me to something I pinned a few days ago, Ginger Chicken.  Strangely enough I found it while I was looking for blueberry lemonade,  I decided that I wanted to try out the recipe since my husband had ordered this really tasty ginger pork at our favorite local Japanese restaurant.  I was thinking if I really like it I can change up the recipe and use pork.  Luckily I had most of the ingredients in stock, I was only missing sake and scallions (which I wanted to omit anyway, first change in recipe).  A shopping trip to a Japanese market fixed the missing sake.  Even though the trip is a bit far (20 or so minutes drive) for one item, my daughter and I were able to enjoy lunch at one of the food shops there :).

Anyway, I ended up almost doubling the recipe since the pack of chicken thighs I got had much more than the recipe called for.  As I was prepping all my ingredients, and letting the chicken sit in the marinade, I decided that I wanted to add some onions to mix with the chicken (second change in recipe).  While I steamed some veggies for a side dish, I sliced half a large onion, making very thin slices.  I thought it might be best to cook them after I finish the first phase of cooking the chicken.  In the end, I liked how everything turned out.  While I did exclude one ingredient, and add another, I think I followed the recipe fairly well (for me, that is).  Definitely watch your temperature, since there's a good amount of sugar with the honey, things can burn if it's too hot.

A bowl of rice, topped with the ginger chicken, steamed veggies (carrots, broccoli, and zucchini), and sesame seeds for garnish.  Yum!
Too all you pinners out there, if you haven't started trying all those awesome things you're putting up on your boards, maybe you should!  Out of my food section I've tried at least 1/3 of all the things I've posted, 5 out of 15 so far.  They won't all be home runs, but you may just find a few gems.  I think I'll be keeping this recipe :).

No comments:

Post a Comment