Monday, August 27, 2012

Baby Shower: Diaper Cake

Continuing on with the baby shower stuff!

This was my first attempt at a diaper cake.  I didn't look up any real instructions or tutorials, since it looked pretty easy.  Luckily my assumption was right, the most annoying thing was rolling the diapers and trying to put them together.  I don't exactly do things the correct way necessarily, but it worked out.

I'm not sure how most people make diaper cakes, so I basically winged it with what I had on hand.  In order to keep the rolled up diapers rolled up, I used my daughter's little hair ties (those flimsy ones that come with a few hundred or them in a pack)... I can never get them in her hair properly anyway.

When it came to trying to get them into a nice circle I simply built out.  I used a cord/rope to help keep things nice and tight.  I circled the cord around the diapers, tied it, then slowly built out, loosening it as needed to fit more diapers.  There's probably an easier way, but that's what I did ha ha.  At the end I tied everything with a ribbon or three and took off the original cord.



Under the bottom and middle layer I cut out a cardboard circle just slightly smaller than the circumference.  Just in case it showed, I wrapped that up in white paper.  I then had a solid base for everything.  So everything didn't just slip off I put some double-sided tape to secure the diapers to the cardboard.

I actually had the diaper cake completed in an evening, that is everything minus the decorations.  Besides the fact it was getting late, I had several ideas to mull over before I dove right in and decorated.

After some thinking I decided to keep with the pinwheel theme, it only seemed right.  At first I only made the pinwheels, but it seemed kind of plain.  That's why I ended up making extra junk to put together.  All in all I was pretty happy with the results.  I do have an idea of how to do everything better though.

Not too shabby for a first attempt :).


1 comment:

  1. Congrats for completing your first design of the diaper cake and also for sharing its arrangement technique. This light blue color cake is very good and really awesome. Now the work is over means time to start the baby shower party. Diaper cakes are also available at a lower cost in shops or through internet.

    ReplyDelete