Thursday, September 20, 2012

Stamped Christmas/Holiday Card and Tags

I've had quite a few stamps for a while, but I haven't made a great use of them yet.  I guess I really like the idea of stamping, I just never really made an effort to try too much with it.  I would like that to change, so this past week I've been experimenting more with different techniques I see around, and with stamps I may not have thought to use before.

For the most part I'm actually pretty cheap when it comes to stamps.  I shop in the $1/$1.50 section at Michaels, or I get them second hand from thrift shops in my area (I've had good luck at one particular Goodwill 15-20 minutes from where I live).  If I buy more expensive stamps, you can bet I wait until there's a sale and/or I have a coupon!  Let me give couple of examples of things I threw together using cheaper stamps.

This particular card used a total of 5 stamps.  The stamps I used in the background, a variety of 3 snowflakes for some added detail came as a set that I got on sale (probably no more than $1-$1.50 a piece).  The "Seasons Greetings" stamp was only $1 last holiday season at Michaels.  And the snowy homes stamp was a part of a bag of stamps I picked up at Goodwill.  I've been practicing with my distress inks to try and give a cohesive color.  I may add more to this card, but for now I'm keeping it the way it is.


The next 2 projects are more holiday pieces.  The first being a set of stickers, and the next being a set of tags.  Both use the same stamps, I just was experimenting with how I would like everything to look.

The dove with an olive branch, was another $1 Michaels buy from last holiday season.  I also picked up some $1 acrylic stamp letters from Michaels (again).  The to and from are from regular set of acrylic stamps I have lying around.

In the end I kind of prefer the tags to the stickers, maybe because I like the border.  Hopefully when our friend returns our other camera I'll take proper photos and I'll list these in my Etsy shop.

I did have a few more things made, but the photos I took were sub par.  I've been having a lot of fun with stamping this week, and hope to continue experimenting with the materials I have.

Don't forget to check those dollar sections or second hand stores, sometimes you'll score a great buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment